1/30/08

Percival Everett's Coming To Town - remember you're required to go to at least 2 of these events . . .


Percival Everett is the author of 20 books, including a farcical Western, a savage satire of the publishing industry, a children's story that spoofs counting books, retellings of the Greek myths of Medea and Dionysus, and a philosophical tract narrated by a four-year-old. The Washington Post called Everett one of the most adventurously experimental of modern American novelists, and The Boston Globe says, he's literature's NASCAR champion, going flat out, narrowly avoiding one seemingly inevitable crash only to steer straight for the next. Everett's writing has earned him the PEN USA 2006 Literary Award and the Academy Award for Literature of the American Academy of Arts and Letters. He has also received the Hurston/Wright Legacy Award, the PEN/Oakland-Josephine Miles Award for Excellence in Literature, and the New American Writing Award. He has served as a judge for, among others, the National Book Awards and PEN/Faulkner Awards and is a Distinguished Professor of English at the University of Southern California in the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, where he teaches creative writing, American studies and critical theory.

Reception and reading: February 4 at 6pm (followed by book signing), Fogelman Executive Center, University of Memphis, 330 Innovation Drive
Author Interview: 10:30 AM, Feb 5, University of Memphis, Patterson Hall, Room 456

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wendy,

I've already send you an email about this but I wasn't sure which you would check first. I submitted my essay in the drop box last night and this morning when I checked my email I realized that the message was sent back to me saying it wasn't able to deliver it. Is there another way I can send my paper to you? I can send you a copy of the email that I got back from the eLearn dropbox if you'd like.


--Nina Nguyen

Nancy said...

So Wendy,
Are all these River City Writer events on Tuesday evenings? That is a big problem for me. I wanted to attend the Percival Everett event but there is no way. I may be able to attend part of the writer interview on Wednesday am before my 11:30 class. Does that count? Are there any other optional events around town that could count? Does this count as a comment? Thanks,
Nancy

Nancy said...

I don't think my first comment went through, got stuck out there in the Twilight Zone. Are all these River City Writer Events on Tuesday evenings? That is a problem for me. If I can attend at least part of the writer interview on Wednesday morning before my class, does that count? Is there any where else in town where you can attend one of these reading functions? Does this count as a comment?